Home Lab and Hotel Internet

Hi everyone! I need a little bit of help. Here’s my situation: I travel a lot for work. I travel with a small server and small 8 port switch. My server has esxi 6.7 and a handful of vm’s with static ip addresses, one of which is a csr1000v. I have 4 nic cards on the server. Id like to know how to configure an interface so when I connect to the hotel internet my VMs will be able to receive internet as well for updates. I’d also like to add when you connect to the hotel internet you get one of those sign in pages, and I’m not sure how to do that as well. Please help when you can so I can start labbing! Thank you so much

Hello Michael

Hmm, it depends on how the hotel network is set up, and the challenging part is that hotel networks may be set up in various ways. Some limitations that may not allow you to provide internet connectivity to your VMs include:

1. If the wired network only provides one IP address per port
  2. If the wired network is configured with port security allowing only a single MAC address to have access
  3. If the wired network has a captive portal where you must open a web browser and put in some credentials or click “accept” to activate connectivity

One option that may help is to have one of your NIC cards act as a routed port, and have virtual routing between your VMs and the hotel network via that routed port. However, this is unlikely to resolve the captive portal problem.

One thing that does come to mind is you can make your laptop into a router if you have two NICs. You can purchase a USB NIC card. That way your laptop will be able to connect and to enter any captive portal credentials needed. Once that’s done, you can connect your server to the second NIC card and have your laptop route between the hotel network and your VMs. Do a google search to find out how to set up routing on your PC.

To be honest, I haven’t tried this, but if you do, let us know how it works out!

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like

Hi
I would like to know how to setup GNS3

Hello Haji

GNS3 has an excellent section with documentation that takes you on a step by step journey of how to install, set up, and configure GNS3 on your computer. You can find that info at the following link:

There you can find info about all the details of getting up and running. Once you are operating and you have your topologies working, if you run into any problems, let us know and we’ll do our best to help!

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz