How to configure Frame-Relay Point-to-Point

This topic is to discuss the following lesson:

1 Like

Very Clear. Thanks

superb.now i’m able to understand frame-relay concept because of your doc.
can you please post the command to make a router as a frame relay switch with point-to-multipoint and point-to-point.

You are welcome. Here’s a quick example for a frame-relay switch:

frame-relay switching

interface serial0/0
description DLCI_102_TO_R1
frame-relay intf-type dce
frame-relay route 102 interface serial0/1 201

interface serial0/1
description DLCI_201_TO_R2
frame-relay intf-type dce
frame-relay route 201 interface serial0/0 102

This will switch traffic between DLCI 102 and 201

Best Regards,

Rene

Thnx Rene for this site,for gns3vault. Your new ccna 200-120 book helped me alot. :slight_smile:

Regards.

You are welcome Alex!

Hi Rene, you as well as always, can you make exactly this, but with OSPF or Eigrp but… Ipv4 and ipv6 inside. ?

Thanks you a lot

Greetings from Venezuela

Hi Harold,

I might do that but I also have the labs + video solutions on http://gns3vault.com.

For example, here are the OSPF over Frame-Relay labs:

Rene

Hi Rene ,

Why don’t we use the frame-relay map command for point-to-point sub-interfaces ? what will happen if we turn off IARP .? what about the keyword broadcast ?

Hello Rene,
Thanks alot for your lessons, it’s the best.

Could you please recheck

Spoke2(config)#interface serial 0/0.1 point-to-point
is it correct? or should be interface serial 0/0.2?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Wisam,

Glad to hear you like it. The sub-interface numbers are always “local” and it doesn’t matter what number you pick.

Since spoke2 only has one sub-interface I decided to go with the first available number so I went with s0/0.1

Rene

Thanks alot Rene.

Hello Rene

If I do FR point-to point configuration shoud I use map command to bind IP with DLCI number?

Peter

and another thought which makes me confused for point-to-point cfg - reverse ARP should be on or off?

Hi Peter,

The frame-relay maps are only for point-to-multipoint. When you use point-to-point, assigning the DLCI number with the “frame-relay interface-dlci” command is all you need.

Rene

Hi Peter,

Inverse ARP is not used for point-to-point sub-interfaces. The logic of the router is that on a point-to-point sub-interface, there is only one other device on the other side.

Rene

Hi Rene

Thank you for your prompt reply :slight_smile:

Peter

interface serial 0/0.1 point-to-point
What is the effect of not specifying “point-to-point”?

frame-relay interface-dlci 301
Creates an association with the interface or the IP address?

Hi Donald,

If you configure frame-relay sub-interfaces then you always have to specify point-to-point or point-to-multipoint, you can’t skip it.

The frame-relay interface-dlci command is basically associating the L2 identifier (DLCI number) to this particular sub-interface. For point-to-point, this is enough since there’s only one other device in the subnet.

Rene

Hi Rene,

We don’t use the keyword broadcast so how can RIP advertise the networks since the frame relay is NBMA ?