How to configure Frame-Relay Point-to-Point

(Rene Molenaar) #1

This topic is to discuss the following lesson:

(system) #2

Very Clear. Thanks

(system) #3

superb.now i’m able to understand frame-relay concept because of your doc.
can you please post the command to make a router as a frame relay switch with point-to-multipoint and point-to-point.

(Rene Molenaar) #4

You are welcome. Here’s a quick example for a frame-relay switch:

frame-relay switching

interface serial0/0
description DLCI_102_TO_R1
frame-relay intf-type dce
frame-relay route 102 interface serial0/1 201

interface serial0/1
description DLCI_201_TO_R2
frame-relay intf-type dce
frame-relay route 201 interface serial0/0 102

This will switch traffic between DLCI 102 and 201

Best Regards,

Rene

(system) #5

Thnx Rene for this site,for gns3vault. Your new ccna 200-120 book helped me alot. :slight_smile:

Regards.

(Rene Molenaar) #6

You are welcome Alex!

(system) #7

Hi Rene, you as well as always, can you make exactly this, but with OSPF or Eigrp but… Ipv4 and ipv6 inside. ?

Thanks you a lot

Greetings from Venezuela

(Rene Molenaar) #8

Hi Harold,

I might do that but I also have the labs + video solutions on http://gns3vault.com.

For example, here are the OSPF over Frame-Relay labs:

Rene

(Romeo K) #9

Hi Rene ,

Why don’t we use the frame-relay map command for point-to-point sub-interfaces ? what will happen if we turn off IARP .? what about the keyword broadcast ?

(Wisam A) #10

Hello Rene,
Thanks alot for your lessons, it’s the best.

Could you please recheck

Spoke2(config)#interface serial 0/0.1 point-to-point
is it correct? or should be interface serial 0/0.2?

Thanks in advance.

(Rene Molenaar) #11

Hi Wisam,

Glad to hear you like it. The sub-interface numbers are always “local” and it doesn’t matter what number you pick.

Since spoke2 only has one sub-interface I decided to go with the first available number so I went with s0/0.1

Rene

(Wisam A) #12

Thanks alot Rene.

(Piotr Z) #13

Hello Rene

If I do FR point-to point configuration shoud I use map command to bind IP with DLCI number?

Peter

(Piotr Z) #14

and another thought which makes me confused for point-to-point cfg - reverse ARP should be on or off?

(Rene Molenaar) #15

Hi Peter,

The frame-relay maps are only for point-to-multipoint. When you use point-to-point, assigning the DLCI number with the “frame-relay interface-dlci” command is all you need.

Rene

(Rene Molenaar) #16

Hi Peter,

Inverse ARP is not used for point-to-point sub-interfaces. The logic of the router is that on a point-to-point sub-interface, there is only one other device on the other side.

Rene

(Piotr Z) #17

Hi Rene

Thank you for your prompt reply :slight_smile:

Peter

(Donald S) #18

interface serial 0/0.1 point-to-point
What is the effect of not specifying “point-to-point”?

frame-relay interface-dlci 301
Creates an association with the interface or the IP address?

(Rene Molenaar) #19

Hi Donald,

If you configure frame-relay sub-interfaces then you always have to specify point-to-point or point-to-multipoint, you can’t skip it.

The frame-relay interface-dlci command is basically associating the L2 identifier (DLCI number) to this particular sub-interface. For point-to-point, this is enough since there’s only one other device in the subnet.

Rene

(Hussein Samir) #20

Hi Rene,

We don’t use the keyword broadcast so how can RIP advertise the networks since the frame relay is NBMA ?