How to configure IPv6 Redistribution RIPNG OSPFv3

This topic is to discuss the following lesson:

Thanks for the labs. It is very usefull.
I have a suggestion for the last rule in route-map config:
Cryo(config-route-map)#match ipv6 address prefix-list MYPREFIXES (instead of “ONLYTHESE”)

Thanks Brutus, just fixed it!

Do we not need Seed metric while ipv6 redistribution …for RIPNG and EIGRP… i guess OSPF can calculate the cost automatically and will use 20.

A suggestion…

It will be easy to follow if you use router name R1 R2 R3 instead of names.

Hi Suneeth,

I agree, this is one of my older posts. In all my recent posts I use numbers instead of names.

Rene

Hi,

on R2, since the route map is the more specific prefixes to be redistributed, does it need to add the metric option or it will inherit from the command above it?

Hello Samer

You are correct, you do not need to add the metric option with the route map because it is already configured in the command above. If you look at the RIPNG config for R2, you’ll see this:

Since the first command is there with the metric of 1, this is what will be used. It is important to keep this in mind because, by default, it is a metric of 20 that is redistributed from OSPF, a metric that is beyond the maximum of 16 for RIP, so if this was not configured, the destination would be unreachable.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Hello Rene,

I can’t seem to get either OSPv3 or RIPng to redistribute the subnets for the links between the routers. Do you have any idea why it’s not happening?

Thank you,
Nonso

Hello Nonso

Can you give us some more information about your specific topology? Some things you should check include:

1. enabling IPv6 using the ipv6 unicast-routing command
  2. make sure that both OSPFv6 and RIPng are configured correctly and are sharing routes between their respective routers
  3. verify that your redistribute commands include the appropriate syntax and metric

If all this seems OK, share your configuration with us so that we can further help you to troubleshoot.

Laz

Hello good topic

If i want to BGP-IPv6 to OSPF-IPv6 , is the same?
thanks

Hello Alberto

Redistribution between BGP and OSPF for IPv6 is somewhat different, in the sense that OSPF is an Internal Gateway Protocol and BGP is an External Gateway Protocol. This means that for redistribution into BGP to take place, you must follow the logic as seen in this lesson:

Now this lesson deals with the redistribution of routes from OSPF to BGP using IPv4. However, for IPv6, you can take a look at the example shown in the following Cisco documentation:

Laz