How to configure SNMPv3 on Cisco IOS Router

This topic is to discuss the following lesson:

2 Likes

Wonderful site. The best I have seen in a long time

Thank you Richard!

Very helpfull with complete description. Thank you Rene, I always recommend your sites to friends.
Best Regards

Hi, I added the command below and I can see through ‘debug snmp packet’ that the router is sending traps, but I can’t receive the traps in observium. Polling works fine, but traps don’t seem to be received.

snmp-server host 192.168.1.11 traps version 3 priv MYUSER

Do you know how to configure sending traps to observium using snmp v3?

This is Very helpful article thank you very much

Hi Greg,

I don’t think Observium supports SNMP traps right now, only polling. I installed it a few months ago so not sure if they implemented it by now.

Rene

Awesome tutorial and breakdown on how v3 is different from v1 and v2

LOVE THA SITE!!!

Has there been any that instead of manually creating one account for snmp better use radius as authentication?

This was very helpful, clear, and well written. Thanks!

Glad to be of service!

Helpful step-by-step guide. Thank you.

You are welcome Chestin.

dear Rene this is very help site for me and
i appreciate your hard work
thanks u

Another great article from Rene.

Anytime I need a great brief for a technology, google directs me to here. :slight_smile:

Thanx for yet another great article.
Just want to mention that snmpwalk is also available for Windows.
The syntax is a bit different:

Windows: SnmpWalk.exe -r:192.168.82.138 -V:3 -sn:MYUSER -ap:MD5 -aw:MYPASS123 -pp:aes128 -pw:MYKEY123

Linux: snmpwalk -v3 -u MYUSER -l AuthPriv -a md5 -A MYPASS123 -x aes -X MYKEY123 192.168.82.138

Best regards
Thomas

1 Like

Thanks Thomas, this is good to know and it will be useful for others.

Hi Rene,

What is the use of snmpwalk. How it is different from snmp getbulk?

Hi Ananth,

SNMPWalk obtains a group of values by using SNMP GETNEXT request to query a network for a tree of information. In this lesson we used SNMPWalk on the Linux system to check if it is possible to retrieve information from the router so we know that SNMP is configured correctly on the router.

As for the 2nd part of the question, the GETBULK operation was introduced in SNMP v2 and is used for retrieving large amount of data, particularly from large tables using a single SNMP request.

I hope I could answer your question.

Hi ,

Can you add view part of snmp v3
Thanks

1 Like