How to use Mindmapping

This topic is to discuss the following lesson:

https://networklessons.com/cisco/ccna-routing-switching-icnd1-100-105/how-to-use-mindmapping/

Hi,
do you have a mind map available for ccnp? thanks

I don’t have a complete mindmap for CCNP unfortunately. It’s best to create one yourself as you are studying…it’s called “mind” map for a reason :slight_smile: Better to have your own mind/thoughts on paper then mine.

Nice tip Rene thanks!

thanks a lot for the mindmap. i really appreciate. i use to struggle a lot to write the exam because is a lot to read and when the exam is near, the pressure get more high.
i would like to buy some of you book for ccna. i have seen that you explain very well. all the best in what you and your team are doing.

Best Regards

bonito

Hi Bonito,

You are welcome. Mindmapping will help to create a nice overview of all CCNA topics for yourself. For the exam I have another tip:

Some of the questions have a lot of text explaining a scenario or a story that is not always required to find the right answer. When you get one of these questions, start by looking at the answers and figure out if there are any “bogus” answers that could never be correct. Once you got 2-3 answers left, see if you can skim the text to find the solution. Sometimes they give you 2-3 paragraphs of text while the real question is only in 2 or 2 lines of text.

You can find details and purchase links for my “How to Master CCNA” book here:

It’s available as an e-book or as hardcopy through Amazon.com. You can find both versions on the link above.

Good luck!

Rene

Hi. Thanks for the great site.

With mind mapping, how do you get enough info on the screen? It looks good for an overview of topics But I can see how you would get enough detail onto the screen. Any tips?

Hi John,

I just zoom in and out a lot :slight_smile: Also, you can collapse the “branches” that you are not using at the moment so not everything shows up at the same time.

Rene

Rene I started using mind maps after reading your CCNP books. Now I think I have developed the habit to solve complex problems through mind maps.

Also, Thanks to XMind.net for their wonderful tool.

Hi Rizwan,

That’s good to hear! I also use mindmaps for pretty much everything.

Rene

Thanks Rene, I am starting to create my own mind maps.

Really good apps to summarise everything and easy to do revision.

Davis

Hi Renee,

I am thinking this may work very well for me as I can never remember names and just pure memorization tasks. I have always been someone who never forgets a story or things about people or who a person is personality or identity wise just not the best with labels. So I would think something based on this system might tailor fit my learning style. I don’t even mind purchasing a pro version but I would like to learn how to use some basics first.

I

I see your CCNA mindmap and I also saw one in your CCNP route book but I don’t seem to be able to make those same lines.
mine turns out more like the following:

mindmap

is it just that I have the new version and they changed it or am I doing something wrong.

For example, I can create a box then create subtopic but then it is a pain to move subtopic I have to go so far away from it but that breaks the line so only way to reconnect seems to be with the relationship.

I did go back and try to do subtopics instead and it works but I cannot move the subtopics around very much see how squished it is:

mindmap2

Maybe I am doing it kind of right and they grow more horizontally as you add things.

Here I have expanded it out with IPv6 some.

mindmap3

Hi Brian,

In the first screenshot, I think you used the “Relationship” button between boxes . The 2nd and 3th screenshots look familiar :smile:

I usually just use the keyboard in Xmind, it’s pretty quick and using the mouse to move sub-topics around is a bit annoying sometimes.

* Use the arrow keys to move around
* Hit Enter if you want to add something below the current box.
* Hit Insert if you want to add something next to the current box.
* Just use copy/paste (CTRL-X, CTRL-V) to move a subtopic to another box.

It seems you can add relationships between different boxes but that’s something I never use…it makes things messy if you ask me. You can create a nice tree-like structure to cover all CCNA/CCNP/CCIE topics in a mindmap like this.

Thank for this. I already had this idea and was doing this on my own but by pen. Thanks for the digital tool. Very helpful!

1 Like