HSRP (Hot Standby Routing Protocol)

Hello David

I’m not quite sure what you mean, but I’ll do my best to explain HSRP and its functionality with OSPF and other routing protocols.

Using HSRP with a routing protocol such as OSPF for example, can sometimes be tricky. It’s important to realize that HSRP and other FHRPs typically deliver a default gateway to subnets that contain end user hosts. So the actual virtual gateway that is created should only be facing the subnet where the end users are. Those end users should be using that virtual gateway as their default gateway.

Any routing protocols that HSRP devices participate in should take place on other interfaces and not those of the virtual router.

In other words, the virtual default gateway and the SVIs or routed interfaces associated with it should not be used to create OSPF neighbor adjacencies.

Indeed, those interfaces should ideally be configured as passive interfaces for the routing protocol being used.

Now, having said that, OSPF can be initiated between R3 and the two switches so that the 192.168.1.0/24 network will be advertised to R3. That network would be advertised by both SW1 and SW2 to SW3, and

As it is now, R3 cannot reach that subnet, but that was not necessary for the needs of the lesson.
Does that make sense?

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like