Introduction to Cloud Computing

This topic is to discuss the following lesson:

Hi Rene, great content so far.
But i doubt ToR and EoR are explained correctly. With your explanation the only concern would be with cabling, to decide between short or long…BUT:
The important thing with ToR is, that this approach has always to do with “dumb” ToR FEX-Switches(only Data Plane) managed by an EoR Master(Control plane). This is a big difference in Design(ACI, FabricPath, or even SpanningTree, SVI, COSTs, Scalability etc.)
BR
Alex

Hi Alex,

I agree there’s more to explain about ToR and EoR than what I included here. I kept it simple in this lesson since “cloud computing” is a small topic for ICND2 and I didn’t want to overwhelm people with too much info :grin:

Rene

1 Like

What is DSW1 DSW2 ? Thanks.

Hello Yat Fai

DSW stands for Distribution Switch. These are the switches to which the ToR switches of each rack interconnect.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Hello, everyone!

When we purchase a Cloud Service, let’s say that I decide to purchase a web hosting service there or my own virtual machine to use as a server.

What exactly would the IP address of this server be? To be more specific, would it be a public IP address or a private IP address? Because Rene mentioned that we can access these Cloud services not only by using the Internet but by also using a private WAN connection.

Thank you in advance.

Hello David

If you are running services on that cloud that need to be accessible from the Internet (which is typically the case) then you would need at least one public address to be able to reach the cloud infrastructure.

However, you must think of the cloud infrastructure that you purchase, much like an enterprise network. You may have some internal network infrastructure that can use private IP addresses, you have an edge network that deals with translations with the “outside” as well as security issues and firewall policies etc, and you have your connection to the Internet.

This means that you can access your “internal” cloud services via a private WAN connection in much the same way as you would access the internal services of your enterprise network. You create some sort of VPN with your cloud infrastructure to do so. Some cloud services also provide advanced and specially tailored methods of such connectivity. For some examples of such services, take a look at this lesson:

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like

Amazing, very helpful like always! Thanks Laz.

1 Like