Introduction to Routers and Routing

Hi, I just want to ask how IP packet works? How it travels? What does router does when it checks the routing table? etc

Hello Zahid

An IP packet has in its header a source and destination IP address. When a host sends out such an IP packet, it traverses the network until it reaches a router. A router will take the packet, decapsulate it up to Layer 3, and it will read the IP header. It will compare the destination IP address with its own routing table. If there is a match in the routing table, it will then re-encapsulate the packet and send it out of the indicated interface to the appropriate next-hop router. If there is no match in the routing table, it will simply be dropped.

The process has a lot of details and can only be learned and understood by going through several of the lessons on routing. A good place to start is the following lesson, which explains this process in more detail:

After having gone through this lesson, of you have any more questions, please let us know!

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

I want the best program for manage and find duplicate Ip address “IPAM” in wan network.

Hello Ridhwan

There are several IP Address Management (IPAM) tools available that can help you manage and find duplicate IP addresses. These can be useful in any type of network, including both WANs and LANs. Here is a list of some of the options that are available:

• SolarWinds IP Address Manager: This tool is known for its robustness and great user interface. It can help you track IP addresses, find duplicates, and provide detailed reporting.
  • Infoblox IPAM: Infoblox provides a comprehensive solution for tracking and managing network infrastructure. It’s a bit more advanced and might be suitable for larger networks.
  • BlueCat IPAM: This is another robust tool that provides centralized management of IP addresses, and it can easily integrate with other systems.
  • ManageEngine OpUtils: This tool provides a real-time IP Address tracker along with an IP Address Manager. It can help you track both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.
  • LightMesh IPAM: This is a great tool for small to medium-sized businesses. It’s easy to use and provides a good amount of features.

There are also some free options as well, such as Angry IP scanner, NetScan’s Du8plicate IP Scanner Tool, and Duplicate IP Scanner from THe Portable Freeware Collection, however, these are generally limited to the subnet from which you are activating the scan. And they also have other limitations as well.

Choose the tool that you need based on your specific requirements and on the size of your network. Each of the non-free tools offers a free trial too, so you can test them out before making a decision.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz