Introduction to SD-WAN

Hi Lagapides, I am working in ISP company, is it possible to install SDWAN concept in ISP network

Hello Gayathri

Typically, SD-WAN is primarily geared towards the multi-site enterprise, where the WAN of each site can be enhanced and managed more holistically. Interconnections between remote sites can enjoy multiple benefits, including high availability, reliability, quality of service, and many others.

Note here that there are certain topological network characteristics that are required to make SD-WAN useful. SD-WAN typically requires multiple remote sites, each connected via one or more WAN links over a third-party network (such as the Internet).

Now Cisco’s SD-WAN solution is massively scalable, so as far as the size of ISP networks go, it can be used without issue on an ISP’s network. However, how useful it will actually be for an ISP depends highly upon the topology and network infrastructure of the ISP itself. Does the ISP in question have multiple remote sites (or network regions) that it interconnects over other (third party?) networks? This is not typically the infrastructure associated with ISPs.

So how useful it will actually be, depends upon the use cases intended to be deployed as well as the topology of the ISP’s network.

A more typical scenario for ISPs is to create an MPLS network to serve its customers.

Now having said all of this, it is possible for an ISP to sell “SD-WAN as a service” for its own customers over its own network. In such a case, Cisco’s SD-WAN solution would be appropriate. But in this case, the SD-WAN would be deployed to serve customers, rather than the internal needs of the ISP itself.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Introduction to SD-Access

Hello Serge

Concerning the use of DNA for the CCIE exam, take a look at this NetworkLessons note about it.

Now although not essential for certification, having access to Cisco DNAC can be helpful. You don’t necessarily need a separate license for SD-Access labs that are useful for preparing CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure. However, you will require a valid DNAC license to fully utilize the features of the Cisco DNA Center in general.

Cisco DNA Center offers various licensing tiers, such as Cisco DNA Essentials, Cisco DNA Advantage, and Cisco DNA Premier. Each tier provides different levels of functionality and features, but as far as I know, none of them are free, and none offer any sandbox/testbed options.

If you do have access to such licenses, for a CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure lab setup, you might consider using the Cisco DNA Advantage or Cisco DNA Premier license, as they offer a comprehensive set of features, including SD-Access capabilities that you will likely need for your CCIE practice.

Let us know how you get along!

Laz

Can you define your meaning of private wan? I have a private wan is a bunch of lans connected via technologies like VPN, MPLS, metro ethernet, physical dedicated cables, and I guess now SD wan.

Hello Patrick

A WAN is a network that interconnects remote networks. In this context, the Internet itself can be considered a WAN. It however is not a private WAN.

A private WAN is a service that you purchase from an ISP that delivers interconnectivity between your remote sites over an infrastructure that is separate and independent from the public Internet. Some examples of private WAN services include MPLS, Metro Ethernet, Frame Relay, or leased lines.

On the contrary, VPNs are not private WANs because you typically run those over the public Internet. SD-WAN is not a private WAN either, but it can leverage both public and private WANs as part of the connections it manages.

Laz

Good SDWAN content but was wondering if a review of 8Kv routers is pending?
Using latest SDWAN code and issues with vEdges (8Kv’s) not joining. CSR no longer on CCIE exam for SDWAN.

Thanks.

Hello Rick

As far as I know, I don’t believe that Rene will be making content for the Catalyst 8000V. However, if this is something that you would like to see, please feel free to make a suggestion at the following Member Ideas page:

There you can post your suggestions, and you may find that others have made similar suggestions, so you can add your voice to theirs.

If you share more information about your topology, your error messages, and the specific circumstances under which the joining fails, we may be able to help you somewhat.

The current version of the CCIE lab exam is 1.1. In version 1.0, the CSR was not explicitly stated as part of the SD-WAN exam topics.

Laz