Introduction to VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol)

Hello Attila

I am the administrator of a municipal network of over 2500 end devices and over 70 switches in 14 buildings throughout the city in which I live. We have close to 400 VLANs, and VTP has saved me a lot of time. This is true because the network is changing all the time. I have to add and remove VLANs relatively frequently, and VTP ensures that all 70 switches are synchronized, and pruning takes place automatically. Yes, you have to configure each individual access port separately, but every time you add or remove a VLAN you don’t have to add or remove it from each and every switch. Eventually, I would lose track of which switch should have which VLAN configured.

The key here is the password and the domain. If all of your switches in your existing network are configured with this password and this domain, then even if you introduce a new switch with a higher revision number, it will not affect any of the existing switches. The existing switches will only be affected if the password and domain are the same. Otherwise, they will ignore any VTP messages. For this reason, it is of utmost importance to modify the password and domain from the default and to keep those credentials safe and private. Although your solution of increasing the revision number is inventive and would work, it is unnecessary.

The Cisco Community link you shared is incorrect in that VTPv1 and VTPv2 use a 12-bit value for the revision number, giving a maximum of 4096. For all VTP versions, the version number is 32 bits giving up to 4.2 billion values. This is detailed here:

Practically speaking, you would never NEVER reach this number. If you make a change to your VLANs every second, resulting in the revision number being incremented every second, it would take over 1300 years to reach the maximum value of the revision number. So this is a practical impossibility unless there is some corruption in your VTP messages.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like