IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Protocol on Cisco Router

Thanks Laz,

I’m yet to learn about the other by features leveraged by icmpv6 but your explanation makes sense. It would be interesting to listen to the discussions that take place when the architects make decisions on how new protocols are to operate.

How many more years do you think it will be until native ipv6 networks are the norm? It seems like the clock has been ticking for some time now.

It’s great to hear that you enjoy answering these queries Laz as each one new piece of knowledge seems to spawn two more questions!

Much appreciated,

Gareth.

Hello Gareth

I think it’s going to be a long time before IPv6 becomes the norm. My opinion is at least a decade or more. Although the Internet is well on its way to becoming fully IPv6, adoption is still very slow at less than 35% worldwide, keeping in mind that this level was at 5% at the beginning of 2015, and the increase seems to be linear so far. Fewer than 5 countries have achieved more than 50% of adoption.

But these are statistics that have to do with the use of IPv6 on the Internet. I believe that internal enterprise networks are going to be even slower in adoption. This is because all of the measures taken to increase the longevity of IPv4 have been too successful, making it easy to keep your IPv4 networks in an ever-increasingly IPv6 world.

I live in a country that is among the top ten in the adoption of IPv6 on the Internet, but I have yet to see any large scale private or government network adopt IPv6, except for an experimental network maintained by several universities. It’s just too easy to keep using IPv4, at least for the time being. The investment time and effort to upgrade is not worth the benefit that IPv6 provides over IPv4 on steroids.

Just my thoughts.

That’s one of the things that makes networking so interesting! You rarely get bored! :sunglasses:

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

How Ping works in IPv6. How the resolution from IP to Mac happened using ND. Please explain in details.

Hello Manish

This process is described in detail in the following lesson:

Laz

1 Like

Thank you Laz. It was very nice to be here and see all your reply. One more help, Is there any link explaining difference dhcp messages, like dhcp rebind, dhcp infrom, and renew messages. Also where i can find information on ipv6 subnetting.

Hello Manish

For complete information about all the details of DHCP and how it works, you can take a look at the RFC that describes it. This is the official definition of the protocol. The current valid RFC for DHCP is RFC2131:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2131
There you will find the definitions of the various messages, as well as the fields found within each one and the flags that define if a message is for renewal, rebinding, or other processes.

IPv6 doesn’t approach subnetting in the same way as IPv4. For this reason, in order to understand how IPv6 operates in this respect, I suggest you go over the following lessons:

If you have any further questions about this, let us know!

Laz

Could you please briefly describe IND and SeND ??

what is the role of ICMPv6 in RS, RA, NS, and NA.

Hello Rokib

Inverse Neighbor Discovery (IND) allows nodes to determine and advertise an IPv6 address corresponding to a given MAC address. This is similar to Reverse ARP for IPv4. This is an extention to the IPv6 NDP and is defined in RFC 3122.

Secure Neighbor Discovery Protocol (SEND) is also an extension of NDP delivering security features to such communication. This in defined in RFC 3971 and has been updated by RFC 6494.

Both of these extensions, extensively use ICMPv6 and generate RS, RA, NS, and NA mechanisms and operations.

Laz