Local Preference

Hi Network Lessons team, I would like to clarify about why we have this 2 local preference value for each route? first is 999 and the second is 100?

Hello Dan

In your output, what you are seeing is the result of the use of soft-reconfiguration. When soft-reconfiguration is configured, two paths are displayed which differ in local pref as well as in the community being used. One is the unmodified path (info as received from the neighbor), the other is the modified path (info that has been modified by route maps etc). You can find out more about this at the following Cisco FAQ:

You can also find out more about BGP soft reconfiguration configuration at the following lesson.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Thank you Laz another question about the metric
That output is from PEs perspective is the MED value being received via CE router

Kind Regards,
Dan

Hello Dan

Yes, that statement seems correct. Metric or MED is a value that is shared between eBGP neighbors, so it makes sense that this will come from the CE router (which is in another AS) rather than from within the backbone AS (which is in the same AS). You will also notice that both the unmodified path as well as the modified path both have a metric of 20, which means that this is not a value changed by some route map on the local router, but it is the info received directly from the neighbor that is there.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Thank you Laz this is so much informative

1 Like