Multicast Boundary Filtering

Good day!
This topic makes me go deeper to multicast! And i’ll explain why)

I could not understand why do we need 224.0.1.40 for R3 (permit rule in MULTICAST_FILTER acl). R3 is a client (receiver) of MC groups and all that we need for receiving multicast on R3 it is just sending IGMP report (join) toward the R2 (we can forget about PIM), and R2 knows where RP is.

Hours of labing I understood, the main reason why we need acl with 224.0.1.40 in MULTICAST_FILTER acl is “R3 acts as PIM-DR

I think that we do not pass packets with dst ip 224.0.1.40 through R2 is not the main problem in this topology! (avoiding chicken-and-egg problem is important but …)

I Just think that the one of central points of this topic is PIM DR R3

my thoughts:

1. IF Multicast client (receiver) was not the Cisco R3 (where PIM and IGMP coexist together), but just a real client PC (vlc player) then permit rule for 224.0.1.40 in MULTICAST_FILTER acl does not really needed
  2. IF R2 is PIM DR (ip pim dr-priority …) then permit rule for 224.0.1.40 in MULTICAST_FILTER acl does not really needed
  3. if we use “ip pim passive” command on R3 then permit rule for 224.0.1.40 in MULTICAST_FILTER acl does not really needed

Just to make sure
Are my thoughts in the right way or I miss smth?