Multicast PIM Accept RP

This topic is to discuss the following lesson:

Hi Rene,

What is the different PIM accept RP and below configuration? The PIM accept RP applicable for static RP, Auto Rp and BSR?

Ip PIM send-rp-annouce loopback 0 scope 10 group-list 1

Davis

Hi Davis,

PIM accept RP can be used to tell your router not to accept just any RP. I believe it works for AutoRP and BSR, not for static RPs. For example when there are 10 routers in your network advertising themselves as the RP then you can use this command to ignore a couple of them.

ip pim send-rp-announce is used to configure your router to advertise itself as an RP, the access-list is used to advertise the networks that you want to be a RP for.

Rene

Got it.

Thanks Rene.

Davis

Hi Rene,

Is 192.168.12.1 the address of the loopback of R1?

Groeten,

Hans.

Hi Hans,

192.168.12.1 is the IP address of R1. I usually use subnets / IP addresses like this:

192.168.XY.X where X = R1 and Y = R2.

For loopbacks I use 1.1.1.1/32 for R1, 2.2.2.2/32 for R2 etc.

Rene

Hi Rene,

What if I sourced the Multicast traffic from R1 Loopback, will it accept, for my lab its not accept and showing RPF failed or RP failed from debug, even though R2 has correc RPF.

Regards
Jam

Hi Jam,

It doesn’t matter if you use a loopback or “regular” interface as the source as long the RPF check is correct. It’s difficult to tell what is wrong without seeing your config.

1 Like

I believe the picture should be updated using 192.168.12.1 for R1 and .2 for R2.

Thank you,
Stefanita

Hi Stefanita,

That’s right, thanks for letting us know. Just fixed this.

Rene

1 Like

Hi Rene,

Your lab found at https://gns3vault.com/multicast/multicast-pim-accept-rp is a better example of this exercise. The difference here that you used a standard ACL with the word “GROUPS” as opposed to numbers. Either way, thank you for both examples.

Jay K.

1 Like

We will also need to allow 224.0.1.40 address, as this is used for RP.
If not allowed below log is noticed.

R1#
*Mar  1 01:41:51.139: %PIM-6-INVALID_RP_JOIN: Received (*, 224.0.1.40) Join from 192.168.12.2 for invalid RP 1.1.1.1

Hello Syed

I tried labbing this up again, and after some time, I did get the same error message you mention. Even so the RP does appear correct in both routers. I will let Rene know to see if the lesson needs adding to…

Thanks for pointing that out!

Laz

Hi Syed,

224.0.1.40 is for messages from the AutoRP mapping agent. We don’t need it here because we use a static RP.

I think you can disable AutoRP now on Cisco IOS 15.x with the no ip pim auto-rp command.

Rene

Thanks for the reply

Hi,

I think also configs on R1 and R2 have to be modified as on eth0 shows 192.168.12.2 and 3

Thanks

Hello Stefano

Yes, you are correct, I will let Rene know to make the changes…

Thanks again!

Laz