Need advice regarding CCIE R&S LAB exam

I gave my lab exam 2 days ago (2nd attempt) and I did not pass.

I failed the configuration section; I got 71% in the layer 2 section but honestly I have no idea why I didn’t get 100%. All the config was simple enough and I was confident that I got everything right after testing everything. Going over the questions in my head, I still can not see what I did wrong.

Now my problem is that I don’t know how to proceed, since I have no idea where I went wrong in the first place. If it was a technology I did not know or was unfamiliar with, I could dive deeper, but I feel like the instructions were simple and clear (and I feel like I executed them well). My score in the routing section was also much lower than I expected.

Is there any way to figure out what I did wrong? Any advice?

Hi Syed,

I’m sorry to hear you failed the lab. After studying for so long, it’s a huge disappointment to see that “failed” e-mail. I never liked the way they grade the lab exam. You can configure 99% correctly but still get 0 points if you missed one tiny thing or if they meant something else.

Was there anything that you assumed was correct but where they perhaps meant something else? Anything you had to configure in later sections that influenced your L2 or L3 configuration? Did you have enough time to verify everything?

When I did the lab, it took about 2 hours to configure everything and I spent ~3 hours verifying each and every task step-by-step with show commands. When I was only 90% sure, I asked the proctor what they meant. This really helped, I was able to make some minor changes.

It’s too bad that you don’t get any more feedback to figure out what went wrong. The only thing you can do is another attempt.

Rene