OSPF Graceful Shutdown

This topic is to discuss the following lesson:

Hi Rene,
In which situation we can use this command?? Actually I cant find out the importance of this command in my view. Could you please tell me the uses of this command?? Thx

br//
zaman

Hello zaman

According to Cisco:

The OSPF Graceful Shutdown feature provides the ability to temporarily shut down the OSPF protocol in the least disruptive manner and notify its neighbors that it is going away. All traffic that has another path through the network will be directed to that alternate path. A graceful shutdown of the OSPF protocol can be initiated using the shutdown command in router configuration mode.

Essentially, the advantage here is that the router that is being shutdown will send out messages to other OSPF routers informing them of the shutdown. Thus, any neighbouring routers with routes that are directed via the router in question will direct their traffic via alternate paths. This allows the rest of the network to re-converge faster than just shutting down the OSPF process.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Hi,
Still bit confusion,Exactly, when we are going to use Graceful shutdown…? Possiblity situations?

Hello mohsin.

Graceful shutdown for OSPF is useful when you want to remove or disable a router (for maintenance purposes for example) in the least disruptive manner. What it does is it lets other routers know about its intentions and gives an opportunity to the other routers to find alternative routes to their destinations. This way, when the router is actually shut down, rerouting has already been established and end users should detect little or no change in the network performance.

Laz

1 Like

Hi Laz-
Brilliant explaination !!!
This is what I’m looking for…
Thanks! by the way, if anything i’ll let u know…

What is the purpose of the max-metric router-lsa command.

Hello Nagarajan

The max-metric router-lsa command causes an OSPF router to advertise its locally generated router LSAs with a maximum metric. This causes other routers to prefer an alternate path for these destinations (if one exists) rather than routing traffic through this router. The purpose of this is to avoid routing transit traffic if there are alternate paths.

Transit traffic is traffic with a source and destination that are both on “other networks” and not on a locally administrated network. Transit traffic is undesirable because you are routing traffic where both the source and the destination are not under your jurisdiction. In other words, you’re routing someone else’s traffic.

More information about this feature can be found here:

Laz

1 Like