OSPF & IPsec

Hi everyone,

I have followed the following tutorial DMVPN Phase 2 OSPF Routing
https://networklessons.com/cisco/ccie-enterprise-infrastructuredmvpn-phase-2-ospf-routing

I would like to implement IPsec over OSPF do we have a tutorial for that?

I found this tutorial, would this work by replacing RIP with OSPF?

https://networklessons.com/cisco/ccie-enterprise-infrastructuredmvpn-over-ipsec

Any pointers much appreciated.

Hello Thomas

It really depends on what you mean. Do you want to be able to run the OSPF routing protocol over a network topology where IPSec is implemented? This can be using DMVPN, GRE, or simply using a pure IPSec VPN. But there are some additional tweaking that you must do for it to work as by default, OSPF will not function over an IPSec link. Take a look at the following post for more details:

In addition, take a look at the following lessons that include situations where OSPF is being run across links where IPSec is employed:
https://networklessons.com/cisco/ccie-enterprise-infrastructureencrypted-gre-tunnel-with-ipsec

Yes, you could do that, because in essence, a DMVPN is a multipoint GRE tunnel, and GRE supports multicast, thus it supports OSPF. A pure IPSec tunnel such as that described in the following lesson would not function (as described in the post above.)
https://networklessons.com/cisco/ccie-enterprise-infrastructurecisco-ipsec-tunnel-mode-configuration

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz