PPP MultiLink

This topic is to discuss the following lesson:

https://networklessons.com/cisco/ccna-routing-switching-icnd2-200-105/ppp-multilink/

Hi there,

I am completely to new PPP Multilink, but I wonder this is the technology that is going to help me to achieve my goal.

We have two L2 point to point connections (main and backup) from our HQ to the datacenter, the idea to do some kind of load balancing/failover by using two Cisco routers.

Would PPP Multilink do the trick? If so, what kind of things should I take in consideration.

Please advise.

Hello Vianney

Take a look at this lesson on PPP Multilink. It describes the configuration and various principles that you need to keep in mind. Take a look, and if you have any questions or concerns, let us know.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Hi Lazaros,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I already read that great article, that is the reason why I created the post on this forum.

I am looking for real world advises, such as how reliable this is, will it significantly impact the latency, jitter, bandwidth, etc.

Thank you

Hi Vianney,

From what I know, PPP multilink is reliable and shouldn’t impact your latency/bandwidth. It’s also used in VoIP scenarios where they recommend to enable interleaving. When you do this, the smaller (delay sensitive) packets are not multilink encapsulated.

If you want a definitive answer, it would be best just to test this. Lab it up on some real hardware, then see how it compares against two regular PPP links.

Rene