RPVST and RSTP

(william t) #1

Hello,

I would like to know if i can mix RSTP ( other switch ) with RPVST with mutiple vlan. I seen on the network that i mix with the vlan 1 because the bpdu destination mac is similar to rpvst but with the other vlan i think that create a loop. I tested on a maquette : one Cisco root bridge with vlan 1,2 and 3 and 2 other swicths uses RSTP. when i create a loop between the three switchs . one port on the other switchs is alternate blocking and i don’t see a loop. I tagged all vlan exept the vlan 1 that is native.

What do you think of that?

(Lazaros Agapides) #2

Hello William

It is possible to have both RSTP and R-PVST+ function together, however it can get a little tricky. With the topology that you’ve described above, it sounds like it’s a good solution.

Keep in mind that RSTP should be mapped to the R-PVST+ VLAN 1 instance so VLAN 1 should be allowed on all the trunks, as you have rightly done so.

Many non-Cisco switch manufacturers provide documentation on how to inter-operate STP versions between Cisco and their switches. The following links show two examples of such documentation:

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

(william t) #3

Hello,

Thanks tout vert much for your answer. It comforts me in my installations.

WT