Seed metric vs default metric

Hello all, i am currently studying for my CCNP Routing exam. I am enjoying your site and i find it very helpful. I was looking over one of your lessons last night on route redistribution. When redistributing rip into eigrp i saw where you used either a seed metric or the default metric for eigrp. Is it either one or the other to be used when doing redistribution or can you have a seed metric of one value and a default metric of another value in the same statement? Is there any advantage of using one over the other? Just trying to understand, thanks and keep up the good work.

Hello Cecil,

I’m glad to hear you like my work :slight_smile:

When you redistribute into EIGRP or RIP, you need to set a seed metric. If you don’t, the metric will be set to the highest value which is considered unreachable.

You have two options:

1. You set a default metric for the routing protocol. When you redistribute, it will use this as the seed metric.
  2. You set a seed metric manually when doing redistribution.

When you have set a default seed metric and still set a seed metric manually, then this will override the value of the default seed metric.

So I guess it’s up to you what you prefer…when you don’t specify a manual seed metric, do you want the route not to show up or use the default seed metric. In practice, having a default seed metric is probably the most convenient.

Hope this helps!

Rene