Hey need advise. I tried to simulate this in CML, but I couldn’t get what I wanted.
I need to replace the two Old-Switch 1 and Old Switch 2 in attached file with new Cisco model. Just trying to understand how many time of disruptions I would likely get when doing the replacement. (I am using ping from PC1 to PC2 to simulate traffic) Below are the sequence orders I plan to do. BTW I can only swap out 1 Switch at a time.
- Lower Router 1 HSRP priority, Router 2 would be active Router. Then swap out Old-Switch 1 first, I think 1 disruption of about a min due to STP convergence?
New Switch 1 would become root bridge (we set priority to 0)
- Connect New-Switch 1 to Old-Switch 2, 1 more disruption abt 1 min due to STP convergence?
- Connect Switch 3 to New Switch 1. No STP here.
- Connect New Switch 1 to Router-1, I don’t expect disruption
- Remove Old Switch 2 and replace it with New Switch 2. Connect New Switch 2 to New Switch 1, follow by connect New Switch 2 to Switch 4 then to Router-2. I don’t think disruption here since all traffic would be by handled by New- Switch 1 and New Switch 1 the root bridge.
Is my understanding correct? I would manipulate the HSRP priority accordingly when doing eqpt swap. Any advise would be good. Thanks