SPB concept

Hi All,

This is sai. I’ m looking for SPB( shortest path bridging) concepts like how it works, used, benefits and troubleshooting. Hopefully, I’ll get positive news. Thank you!

1 Like

Hello Sai

SBP is defined in IEEE 802.1aq and is essentially an attempt at replacing the more traditional spanning tree protocols. The primary weakness of traditional STP, is the blocking of redundant paths. SBP doesn’t block paths, but allows an infrastructure to load balance across multiple paths while at the same time avoiding loops. This is a huge step forward as it increases efficiency immensely. It is designed to function with a “plug and play” philosophy, allowing little or no human intervention in its configuration.

Even though its working group was founded in 2006 and its first widespread production network deployment was at the 2014 Olympic games, its adoption by major vendors has been slow. Cisco has clearly stated that it is not going to support SBP any time soon.

There are alternatives to SPB including Multi-Chassis Link Aggregation and VXLANs, but the most direct competitor is called Transparent Interconnect of Lots of Links (TRILL). This is the direction that Cisco is going.

Even though I don’t usually link to Wikipedia articles, I’ll make an exception here. The following is a very well written, comprehensive, and clear description of SPB, includes detailed examples and diagrams, and is worth a read if you’re interested in the standard:

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Welcome Sai! Glad to have you onboard.

Thank you for explanation.Can you please explain me the concept of Qin Q and PMP configuration in switch and How Ethernet service will work? Thanks!

Hello Sai

You can find out more about QinQ at the following lesson:

As for PMP, I’m not sure what you are referring to. Can you clarify?

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Point to multipoint configuration in switch

Hello Sai

Once again, a point to multipoint configuration can refer to various things such as Frame-Relay, OSPF network types, and logical topologies of networks. Can you elaborate on your specific question so that we can help you further?

Thanks!

Laz