Stack Switch question

I was having an issue with two switches in a stack. I did a show version and I see both are using the same img but one is in “Bundle” mode and the other is “Install” Mode. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello Cardigan

Without knowing more about the problems that you are facing, what I can say is that if you have the choice of running either installed mode or bundled mode, choose installed mode. Having said that, if this is indeed the source of your problems, then I suggest you go ahead and attempt to convert the bundled mode switch to installed mode to match the other member of the stack. In order to do this, you can follow the following Cisco documentation:

It includes information about converting while a member of a stack.

Take a look, give it a try and let us know your results!

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

My senior ended up using tftp to load the img back onto to the switch and manually deleting the “.pkg” files. But this will come in handy for the next deployment. Thank you

1 Like

Hi team,

Since i see this topic related with my doubt i ask, it is a good advice or good practice stack two switch that are in bundle mode each one?

I have two 3850 and both run in bundle mode in isolated way, i would like to stack both switch but my concern is if i have to change the mode from bundle to install.

Thanks,

Hello Miguel

Most newer Cisco models use the install mode by default, but are also able to run in bundle mode. The following Cisco post describes the differences between these two modes in detail:

Now as far as creating a switch stack, the mode should be the same on all switches being used. It doesn’t matter what mode you use, as long as they are the same. In general, most network professionals prefer install mode because it is more versatile and newer, but as far as switch stacking is concerned, as long as all the switches are the same, the mode doesn’t really make a difference in performance.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Thank you very much for your reply.
Very helpful

1 Like