Storm control

hi all could gives you tell me the best pratice of configuration of strom control . how to configure the different threshold to avoid risque falldown the network.

tkanks for all reactions

Hello Adia

Depending on the platform and the IOS version, there are various options available. There is a storm control option for several platforms. An example can be found at the following link.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

thanks for your help but i would like to know how can i calculate the different threshold to protect my switch against storm . also i need best practice in production environment .

best regards

Hi Adia,

Every network is different so it’s difficult to give a certain number to use for something like storm-control.

On a modern network, it’s very unlikely that you see crazy amounts of unicast/multicast/broadcast traffic unless you have a spanning-tree issue where traffic starts to loop around. Before you think about storm-control, take a look at the spanning-tree toolkit and things like BPDUguard.

In case something does go wrong, storm-control can be useful. You could start with some sniffing during workhours, see how much unicast/broadcast/multicast traffic there is on the network.

Configure storm-control with a value double of what you see and start with the SNMP trap. If nothing shows up, then switch to error-disabling the switchport (if that’s what you want).

This is a quick way to stop the storm if you have a broken NIC or something like that. This works well for a desktop computer but it’s maybe not the best option for uplinks or servers.

Rene

thanks for your respond. ple

1 Like