Subscriber templating

Greetings, I’m trying to set up a Cisco 4321 which has a new version (17.03.04a) which I’m not yet familiar with - my previous experience is with version 3.16.
I found in the running config the command “subscriber templating”, for which I was not able to find any explanation.
Can someone help me whether I should disable this command (“no subscriber templating”) or leave it as it is? And what is this command for?
Ah forgot: we dont use any QoS or voice features.
Thanks in advance!

Hello Reinhard

Subscriber templating is part of Cisco’s Intelligent Services Gateway (ISG) template-based policy and feature provisioning which is designed to improve CPU utilization.

Traditionally, ISG subscriber policies were provisioned individually as separate features. However, because most sessions shared common policies, a more efficient approach is to create templates to improve CPU resource usage. If you’re not using ISG features, then there is no need to worry about this particular command.

The subscriber templating command in your Cisco 4321 by itself has no impact on the operation of the router itself, so whether you have it on or off makes no difference. The difference exists when you actually apply the templates. For more information on how to apply them, take a look at this Cisco documentation:

The truth is, there is very little documentation about this for the 4321. I haven’t had direct experience with the subscriber templating feature on that platform, so I can only assume that it is similar to the ASR as described in the documentation above.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Hi Lazaros,
thanks for your response, it was helpful.
So you mean I should leave it as it is, correct?
I took a look on the link and some other links on the ISG site you mentioned but I found nowhere an explanation for the command “subscriber templating”… strange. Or did you?
Best regards
Reinhard

Hello Reinhard

I too did not find any information on that specific command, nor did I find anything in any Cisco command reference documentation either. I have only seen it as part of sample configurations in documentation such as this, but without any further explanations. It is indeed strange.

The connection I’ve made between the feature and the specific documentation I shared is the fact that, in the document, it refers to the feature as “subscriber templating”.

As is the case with many such features on Cisco devices, commands like “subscriber templating” are those that enable a particular feature. If you don’t actually configure any subscriber templates, whether you have the feature enabled or disabled is typically of minimal impact.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Thanks, Lazaros, for you effort.
As you recommended I’ll leave the command as it is.
Have a nice day and thanks again!
Reinhard

1 Like