What are the option to practice with ASA without existing hardware

Hello Everyone,
I hope all is ok with you !
I am using GNS3’s ASA 5505 to practice but it doesn’t do the job really.
If there is another way of doing it (except Packet Tracer) without real hardware ?
Best,
Asen

Hello Asen

GNS3 is the only cost-free way of working with an ASA is GNS3 and Packet tracer (that I know of). You have the option of using Cisco’s VIRL whose cost is not trivial (around $200 USD) but it may be worth it if you’re serious about certification. Other than that, the only other way is to find an old ASA on eBay which you can get for a lot less than VIRL. But with VIRL you get a lot more, like a whole environment where you can create many topologies and fully study almost all of your Cisco certification courses.

But you’ll have to decide for yourself what path is best for you.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Thank you Laz,
Do you have experience with Cisco’s VIRL? Is it closer to the real environment than GNS3?
Thanks, and Best,
Asen

Hello Asen

Both GNS3 and VIRL are very similar as far as the actual simulation of ASA devices is concerned. If you get them both up and running, they will both simulate the ASA devices quite well. The differences, however, are what will help you in making your decision.

1. VIRL uses official Cisco images, and is licensed, so you have no legal issues. GNS3 requires that you “obtain the images yourself” which is not very hard to do but strictly speaking, involves some legal issues.
  2. GNS3 is a little more involved in its setup in order to get the ASA to function. There are several ways to do this (using Qemu for example) but the choice you make will make make it either easier or harder to share your topologies with others, or to transfer them from one computer to another. But GNS3 has done an excellent job in documenting an automating much of the configuration procedure. For VIRL, it works more “out of the box” so you don’t have to worry so much about making it work. So VIRL is more stable than GNS3 as far as getting it working goes.
  3. VIRL costs money while GNS3 is free.

How you evaluate those differences depends on your situation.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Thank you very much Laz !
Best,
Asen

1 Like