How to configure Static NAT on Cisco IOS Router

I did a little bit more sophisticated nat static lab. I want to validate something with you about the addresses in the following command : ip nat inside source static w.x.y.z a.b.c.d.

It seems a.b.c.d must be the address that is configured in the same network interface as the ip nat outside command ?

NAT(config)#interface fastEthernet 0/0
NAT(config-if)#ip nat outside
NAT(config-if)#ip add **a.b.c.d ...** 

For w.x.y.z, it seems that any inside address routable to the NAT does work ?

Hi @kayoutoure,

With the ip nat inside source static command, youā€™ll need an inside local + inside global address. The inside local can be any address that is routable on the inside. For the inside global address, you can pick any IP address that falls within the network of any of your interfaces that has the ip nat outside command. Usually, youā€™ll pick the IP address on your outside interface, but this is not really required. For example, this also works:

Letā€™s create a new loopback:

NAT(config)#interface loopback 0
NAT(config-if)#ip nat outside 
NAT(config-if)#ip address 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.0

NAT(config)#ip nat inside source static 192.168.12.1 2.2.2.1 

2.2.2.1 belongs to the 2.2.2.0/24 network on loopback 0. Letā€™s enable a debug on the ā€œhostā€:

HOST#debug ip packet 
IP packet debugging is on

And do a quick ping:

WEB1#ping 2.2.2.1
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 2.2.2.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 6/7/9 ms

Which works:

HOST#
IP: s=192.168.23.3 (GigabitEthernet0/1), d=192.168.12.1, len 100, input feature, MCI Check(109), rtype 0, forus FALSE, sendself FALSE, mtu 0, fwdchk FALSE
2 Likes

Ok. I see.

By the way (if you have time to correct it) ; you are using R1, R2, R3 router names, while the schema is using Host, NAT, Web1.

You are right, just fixed it :slight_smile:

Just a little type I guess. ā€œonā€ not ā€œnoā€ in the first sentence?

Hi Olof,

Thatā€™s a typo yes :smile: Thanks for letting me know, I just fixed it.

Rene

Hi Rene,

What will happen if we configure like this:-

interface xxx
ip nat inside
ip nat outside source static a.a.a.a b.b.b.b

interface yyy
ip nat outside
ip nat inside source static c.c.c.c d.d.d.d

Will it work at all and if at all it works how would be the packet flow?

Okay, My another doubt :-

For Cisco VASI Configuration, what we are doing -

Interface Physical_Interface1 (may be LAN Interface)
IP nat inside
Interface VasiLeft1
IP nat outside
ip nat inside source static 1.1.1.1 100.100.100.100.1
ip nat outside source static 2.2.2.2 200.200.200.2

interface VasiRight1
ip nat inside source static 5.5.5.5 500.500.500.5
ip nat outside source static 6.6.6.6 600.600.600.6

Please rectify me if I am wrong:-

When traffic enters ā€œPhysical_Interface1ā€ it will translate the LAN Side IP as per ā€œip nat insideā€ command and forward it to VasiLeft1 Interface. Here it is mentioned as ā€œOutsideā€ so send it to VasiRight1 as usual.

My doubt is what it will do with ā€œinside NAT statementā€ here in VasiLest1 interface?

it reaches VasiRight1 automatically.

Now here gain we see ā€œinsideā€ and ā€œoutsideā€ NAT Statement. What would be the traffic flow?

For return traffic,

Where it will D-NAT? On VasiRight or on VasiLeft?

it should be on any one of the interface. Not on both. Why we are configuring ā€œinsideā€ ā€œoutsideā€ combined NAT Statement on both the interface vasiright and vasileft?

Totally Confused about packet flow.

Will eagerly wait to get your answer.

Hello Manami

I assume in your example you mean the following:

router(config)#interface xxx
router(config-if)#ip nat inside
router(config-if)#exit
router(config#) ip nat outside source static a.a.a.a b.b.b.b

router(config)#interface yyy
router(config-if)#ip nat outside
router(config-if)#exit
router(config)#ip nat inside source static c.c.c.c d.d.d.d

Iā€™ve never actually configured something like this, but I donā€™t see why it wouldnā€™t work. You may have some restrictions as to the IP addresses being used. I suggest you try it out in a lab environment and see what happens. Share your results with us if you can.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Iā€™m still trying to understand this lessonā€“but please allow me a quick question regarding ā€œoverlappingā€ networksā€¦ where multiple networks share common IP addresses?

If I need to connect multiple different networks together, but they share a common IP scheme (192.168.115.0/24), can I do that with NAT?

Thanksā€“trying to find the practical solution for a real world problem.

Troy

Hello Troy

In the specific reference to overlapping address spaces, what is being referred to here is if you have an inside network address that is the same as an address on the outside.

For this specific question, youā€™ll have to be a little more specific. Are these multiple different networks remote locations all using the same private address space of 192.168.115.0/24 internally? When you say connect them together, what do you want to achieve? Have each network have access to all other networks as if they were in the same physical location or just have access to specific resources at each location such as a web or email server?

In general, NAT is not a technology used to connect remote networks, but allows the use of one address scheme on the ā€œinsideā€ network to be translated to another on the ā€œoutsideā€ network. The inside network is almost always a private address scheme while the outside network is almost always the Internet.

For connectivity between remote sites, technologies such as VPNs are an option for remote connectivity, but this will require even internal address schemes to be unique. If they are not unique, NAT can be employed to translate appropriately but this becomes unnecessarily complex for a relatively simple solution.

I hope this gives you some insight into what you need to do. Feel free to comment or provide additional information so we can look into the issue in more detail.

Laz

1 Like

Thanks for these questions, Lazā€“and the opportunity to learn from this exercise.

These are multiple devices per site, each utilizing the same static IP schemeā€“changing it is not practical. Each device does not and should not communicate with any other, but I need to access each client on each device in order to scan them. The scanner will run on a server, to be installed at each site. The WAN provider has given me 200 addresses for each site, and those are the addresses I will use to reach each client.

I intend to subnet those 200 addresses into seven /27 networks, enough for six devices and a few addresses left over for management. The static IPs on the devices are contiguous (.1-.25) within the local 192.168.115.0/24 address space. The problem I am trying to solve is to transcend the ā€œpublicā€ IPs and reach the local IPs remotely. Is this possible with NAT? If so, can it be done on the router in the diagram? Or do I need additional L3 devices between the switches?

network_layout

Troy

Hello Troy

Can you clarify the following:

1. The scanner will run on a server to be installed at each site. Will this scanner have an internal IP address of the form 192.168.115.X?
  2. The 200 addresses, are those routable? i.e. not private?
  3. You say that the WAN provider has given you 200 address for each site. Thatā€™s 200 for each site?
  4. Where is the central device from which you want to access all of the internal clients? What is itā€™s IP address?
  5. What role do the servers at each site play? not sure I understood that part.

At first glance, what you will require is some nat translation with port forwarding so that you can access each individual client, but I must more fully understand the network topology before i can answer.

I await your response!

Laz

My preference would be to keep the scanner off the 192.168.115.x network, but instead route its 172 address to all the clients on site. Yes, I have 200 addresses at each site and can route to them from a central server at a different site (ie. 172.168.22.195), for the purpose of initiating and collecting the scans at all of the other sites.

Ideally, I want a one-to-one translation between the local 192.168.115.1-30 to a 172.168.23.1-30 public address. Then repeat that scheme for the next one on siteā€“192.168.115.1-30 can be reached from the outside by 172.168.23.33-62, and so on. Is NAT right for me?

Troy

Hello Troy

Sorry for the late response. If you have a one to one relationship between the internal and external IP addresses for the clients, then yes, NAT would work for what you want to do. Sounds like an interesting setup, let us know how it goes!

Laz

the following config is in the C891F-K9 in a production network my Question is why they config the ip nat static with route-map option

router#sh running-config interface g8
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 357 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet8
 description WAN
 bandwidth 512
 bandwidth receive 3000
 ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.248
 ip access-group BLOCK_RECURSIVE in
 ip nat outside
 ip ips myips in
 ip virtual-reassembly in
 zone-member security INTERNET-ZONE
 duplex auto
 speed auto
 crypto map primarymap
 service-policy output MP_STD_4QUEUE
end

ip nat inside source static 10.1.1.1 10.87.11.11 route-map NAT_MAP

route-map NAT_MAP permit 10
 match ip address NAT_LIST
 match interface GigabitEthernet8

ip access-list extended NAT_LIST
 deny   ip 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 168.182.0.0 0.0.255.255
 deny   ip 10.0.0.128 0.255.255.63 any
 permit ip 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 any

Hello Mohanad

Using a route map to define a static NAT is helpful because it adds a lot of flexibility. You can easily adjust which addresses are allowed and which are not. This is especially the case for one to one static NAT like the one you show in your post where users from the Internet (or from the outside network) can directly access the device on the inside via this static NAT translation. By adding the route-map and placing entries in the associated access list, you are blocking incoming requests from the specific IPs that are listed there.

You can limit and filter who has access from the outside to the device you are translating to. This is typical good practice especially when this is something that you want to adjust over the days and months of its operation.

Laz

PLease check under the NAT Router this configuration has the wrong IPs listedā€¦ they have

!
interface FastEthernet0/0
 ip address 192.18.23.2 255.255.255.0
 ip nat outside
!
interface FastEthernet1/0
 ip address 192.18.12.2 255.255.255.0
 ip nat inside

I am having problems with the PAT so I came to this one to back track and so I had just copied the configs from the config tabs.

that is why its not working for people!!!

should be 192.ā€œ168ā€.x.x on both

Ok I have tested this one and it worksā€¦. minus the changes that need to be made that I posted above. I also did no ip routing on the Web serverā€¦ before I did that I could not ping from host to web but after I did that I couldā€¦ odd!

Hello Brian

Thanks for catching that, Iā€™ll let Rene know!

Laz

Is there a tangible difference between

ip nat inside source static 192.168.12.1 192.168.23.2

and

ip nat outside source static 192.168.23.2 192.168.12.1

?