Introduction to EIGRP

Hi Rene,

Apologies, I didn’t read the tutorial all the way down. I have now read the full article and everything is explained.
Cheers

No problem, that’s good to hear.

Hi Rene,

I still confusing ,the following item

-router Diamond advertises a distance of 5+4+3+7=19 to router Hearts. can not be 5+4+9 ?

Tin Marlar

Hi Tin,

When Hearts advertises something to Diamond then Diamond will never advertise this back to Hearts because of split horizon.

However, the route could loop around…Hearts > Clubs > Diamond > Hearts. This route has a metric of 5+4+3+7 = 19.

Rene

Rene,
Hi. Sorry you have to repeat this, but I am still very confused by the second example in this lesson. I understand EIGRP has the rule “whatever you learn on an interface you don’t advertise back out of the same interface.”, but in this particular case HEARTS has three separate interfaces in my understanding. With that being said why isn’t HEARTS sending its advertised distance of 9 to CLUBS and 9 to DIAMOND?

Many thanks,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

That’s ok, it also helps me to improve my material.

In this example, router hearts WILL advertise to clubs + diamond with a metric of 9. That’s how clubs / diamond will learn about the destination.

The only routing updates that are not advertised are those that you learn on the interface that you received them on (split horizon).

Routes can loop around though:

hearts > clubs > diamond > hearts

or

hearts > diamond > clubs > hearts

In these two cases, router hearts will never accept these updates since the advertised distance is higher then its own feasible distance.

Does this help?

Rene

Crystal clear! Thanks

Hi,

So to perform unequal load balancing ones needs to make the distance larger for the successor by using the “variance” command so that the feasible successor distance looks better is that correct?

Thank you

Hi Victor,

The variance command doesn’t increase the metric, it’s only used for the calculation to decide which feasible successors will be used for load balancing. When the feasible distance of a feasible successor is lower than the feasible distance * variance of the successor, then it will be used for load balancing.

Rene

Hi Rene…

What an awesome article… simple and nice explanation,…

Really learned a lot and cleared many of my confusions, good working.

Best explanation.

Davis

In last example of four routers, clubs, diamonds, hearts, spade, how feasible distance has been calculated? I understood advertisement distance for them, but completing the table in the table for feasible distance has perplexed me.

Hi Adil,

The feasible distance is calculated by adding the metric of the interface plus the advertised distance.

Rene

Why we dont calculate the advertisement distance and feasible distance for the router Hearts?

The calculations were done from the perspective of router Hearts.

Thanks Rene!

19 posts were merged into an existing topic: Introduction to EIGRP

Nice Lessons!! Great Job René

Hi Rene, Please kindly assist as l’m a bit confused.

What prevents router hearts from also advertising 5 + 4 to router diamond when it sends its update to router clubs ? The route is only sent out the interface that leads to clubs from hearts ?

Thanks

Andrew